A sticky toffee pudding for the grown-ups. Rich fruit sponge is covered with a toffee sauce infused with the light floral flavours of Lady Grey.
- For the sponge pudding
- 290ml/10fl oz boiling water
- 2 Lady Grey tea bags
- 50g/1¾oz dried figs
- 100g/3½oz dried, pitted dates
- 50g/1¾oz dried apricots
- 55g/2oz lightly salted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 170g/6oz dark brown muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 200g/7oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- few drops vanilla extract
- For the toffee sauce
- 225g/8oz butter, chopped
- 300g/10½oz dark muscovado sugar
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream
- For the sponge puddings, grease six non-stick pudding moulds and preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Pour the boiling water over the tea bags and set aside for five minutes to allow the tea to infuse.
- In a food processor, blend the infused water with the figs, dates and apricots until you have a loose paste. Add the remaining ingredients and blend to a thick batter.
- Divide the mixture between the moulds and place on a baking sheet. Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- For the toffee sauce, in a pan over a medium heat warm the butter, sugar and cream, stirring continuously until all the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a rolling boil for two minutes, again stirring constantly. Sieve into a bowl and set aside.
- To serve, turn out the puddings onto the serving plates and drizzle over the toffee sauce.